Feast or famine! I have had absolutely nothing to write about lately, and now I have so much stuffed into my head that I am about to burst! So I am going to have to take a patience pill and focus in on one thing at a time.
So today’s topic is “conclusions.” I complete three pieces this week, which is a lot for me.
First, the portable Aron Kodesh is done! I really like the top, and Dr. Klapper did a first rate job. I especially like the way he made the stone tablets at the top really look like carved stone. He is a wonderful carver and I am a big fan of his creative style.
The Aron was a relatively easy job, woodworking wise, but every custom piece presents its own challenges. With this piece I needed to take into account not only size issues, but the challenge of getting the hinges just right, setting bars on the bottom so the Sefer Torah does not slide out, and coordinating the carving work and getting the curtains made. Thankfully it all came together two weeks before the project was due! Please excuse the poor photography. I need to find a place to set this up and get some good pictures taken of it.
The Aron Kodesh is made of walnut veneer plywood with solid walnut face frame, and a walnut floating panel door. The carcass stands about 46″ tall, and is about 21.5″ wide. The Har Sinai (Mount Sinai) is also made of walnut, the aseros hadebrose (10 commandment stones) is made of basswood with the letters painted on.
The pine bowl (wooden yarmulke) project is complete! I did walk away from it for a couple of days. I painted the outside rim black and painted a black line to border the copper leaf. The Barium Sulfide did not add enough color to suit me, so I added a sodium sulfide solution just lightly dabbled on. This really did the trick. It created spots of red and purple to the color.
After the chemicals completely dried, I top coated it with several coats of spray on lacquer. Until you pick it up, you’d never think it was pine!
The third piece I completed it week was my “Cherry Genie Bottle.” Once again, the cherry was from a small block that I won at the Baltimore Area Turners meeting as a door prize.
The lower cherry portion was hollow out, then I added a neck of douglas fir. I even managed to hollow that out with my drill press, then blended the two pieces together the same way you would make a lid for a turned box. I painted the inside and outside of the neck black, then I added on the copper leaf. Although the picture does not do a good job showing it, it has a chemical patination of barium sulfide and sodium sulfide.
The cherry part was finished with Danish oil and left to cure. Then I buffed it and waxed it. It is smooth as silk and feels great in your hands. The neck was top coated with spray lacquer, then I simply glued the two parts together. Overall, I like the piece. I might experiment with this shape more in the future.
A visit with a collector of turned art with the most magnificent collection.
Keith Holt’s demo at the Baltimore Area Turner’s meeting.
And a blog about the Maryland Artisan Guild.
Stay tuned! Same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel