What is this joint called?

Work continues on the scrap wood project, and yesterday I finally decided upon the method I am going to use to join the shelves to the legs. So I did a practice run of my idea on a couple of pieces of scrap.

Practice joint








In the picture, the leg is the piece that is vertical, and the shelf edge is the horizontal piece. The shelf edge will be fit into the dado in the leg. So can someone tell me what you call this type of joint?

Below is a picture of my basic idea for the overall shape. The drawer will not go all the way across the table. I am thinking about inlaying a big piece of Western Curly Maple into the drawer front to have an accent color.

The basic idea








I am still trying to figure out what type of marquetry I am going to do on the top. Perhaps I will figure it out after a couple long walks to Shul Friday night and Shabbos morning.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you call the joint I am going to use.



About yaakov

Husband, Abba, Furniture Maker, Turner, Bookseller, and all around working stiff.
This entry was posted in In Yaakov's Workshop and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s