Construction is done! This project has been rather fun to make. Part of the fun of woodworking is figuring out how you are going to do it. Every now and then, I might make something that has published plans, but I prefer to do my own thing, and this project has fit the bill perfectly.
When we last meet, I was trying to decide what to do about the “carrier.” Should I make it out of wood, or make it out of clear acrylic? I was about to make a snap decision and use the acrylic, but then I thought twice. I’m glad I did! First, I asked my wife, and she suggested wood, then I did the smart thing and emailed the customer, and she voted for wood too. Ahhhh the dangers of flying by the seat your pants.
Making the carriers was easy enough. I had plenty of walnut and cherry set aside for veneer making, so I took a piece of cherry and walnut and cut one inch strips on the bandsaw. Each mezuzah has a slightly different size, so each carrier is 1″ longer than the mezuzah case. After a good sanding and shaping, I pre-drilled holes for the nails.
The glue up was easy too. First, I found the centers and glued the cradles to the carrier, then glued an end cap onto each of the tubes. The pyrography pen came out next, and I made the “Shins”. After that was done, I glued the tubes to the cradle. Bada boo bada bing! Done!
The last step of the night was mixing up fresh shellac. I’ll let that sit overnight, then I can start the finish work tomorrow. I want to be really careful and get a very thin and smooth coats of shellac applied. Heavy sanding is not an option. The amber shellac will add a bit of color, but I don’t want a super shiny finish. A mezuzah will get a lot of touches, so I don’t want the gloss to look all “finger printy.”
Till next time, Bar Am out…..