The final glue up for the top is complete. After the initial glue up, I was left with two 6 x 22 x 1.5 boards. For the final glue up of the top, I used my biscuit jointer (mmmmmmmm biscuits, head hangs back with tongue out) to put the two boards together. This simple act brings up two good topics.
First, I received a Porter Cable Biscuit Jointer, mmmmmmmm biscuits, as a wedding gift from one of my groomsmen. I want to say right here and now, aside from the gift of being married to a wonderful women, receiving that biscuit jointer, mmmmmmmm biscuits, was the best wedding present a man could ever receive. I will always have a place in my heart for Raul for giving that to me. Next time you get invited to a wedding, the gift of a biscuit jointer, mmmmmmm etc….., will certainly put you on a pedestal by the groom. If women can have a wedding shower, why can’t men have a special man gift shower? Aren’t we part of the process too? At this point, I will shut-up and return to my place.
Second topic. (this one is technical) Yesterday, I spoke about how well my jointer plane worked, ooooooooooooohhh joints. After the initial glue up, I needed to square up a side so it could be glued up to the other board. Anyone who uses a plane will notice, that generally, you will find the plane works best when planing from one specific direction because of the grain pattern. This is called, “reading the grain”. (Standing up). Hello, my name is Yaakov, and I can’t read,,,,,,, grain that is. Frankly, I just don’t know what I should be reading. Guess I need to find someone who can show me in person. Well, as it turns out, I had glued up both planks in opposite planing directions, which made for a more difficult squaring job.
The legs started taking shape as well. As I have said before, this is a spec job, so I am doing my best to save money, and I kinda had to cut a small corner in making the legs. A couple of years ago, I bought a large walnut plank about 1.5″ thick, and I have been saving it for a long time trying to decide what to do with it. (kinda like a special bottle of wine) In my little mind, I decided I would use that plank for the legs of the Chai Boy. And you guessed it, “missed by that much”, being wide enough to provide the lumber for all four legs. Just my luck, RATS! So, I ended up glueing up two other boards to use for the fourth leg. The legs have odd shapes, so I think I can disguise it enough for it to blend in. I am more worried about the color blend with the other three legs. Which brings up another topic.
I am seriously thinking about using a dark walnut dye on all the walnut pieces to achieve a more uniform color. I have done this before and it worked well. As construction begins, I guess I’ll have to see how it all looks together. In the meantime, I gotta get working on the rest of the plans before I get ahead of myself.
Stay tuned, same blog channel, same blog time (well, not really)